How to Get Past the 3 Gatekeepers of the Inbox
Once your email lands on somebody’s inbox, you have mere seconds to capture their attention. So how do you do it?
Get past the three gatekeepers of the inbox: From Line, Subject Line and Preview Pane.
People look at two things to determine if they will open the email. Who is it from and what is it about. Here’s how to get your email through these hurdles:
1. From Line
- 60% of consumers say they will open an email if they recognize the sender.
- So use a from line that your audience will recognize. It could be the name of your company, your personal name or even a nickname your known by.
2. Subject Line
- I want to introduce you to the 2-2-2 principle of subject lines:
- You have 2 seconds to capture their interest.
- Your first 2 words will determine if they will read the rest of the subject line, let alone the email.
- You want them to take action today or it will get buried by other emails. (OK, not exactly a 2 but it works!)
3. Preview Pane
- Your prospect can get a sneak peek at your email if they use the preview pane feature in their browser. To encourage them to open the email, get to the point, fast!
- Put your most important information above the scroll line.
- Add a short text-only message at the top for those that don’t have their images enabled.
- Use an attention grabbing header for those that do have images enabled.
About the Author
Sandi Abbott is a professional marketer with more than twenty years experience in advertising and marketing. As principal of Xpresso Content Cafe, she helps small businesses increase sales and referrals through interactive digital marketing campaigns. Sign up to receive her monthly digital marketing tips in your inbox. Follow her on Twitter: @xpressocc